[MLton-devel] new basis library

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 10:12:12 -0700

> That would be good, but perhaps we could go all the way: have a
> small program, like cc in the old C compilers, that looked at the
> .cm file and then ran the right back-end (really just different
> saved world I would assume).

Actually, I would probably have only one saved world that would have
the two different basis environments, since there is lots of sharing.
But my main objection is that I don't want to tie things to CM files,
which may disappear some day.  Also, I don't want to force people to
use them.  I really like the simplicity of "mlton foo.sml", where
foo.sml is the entire program.  I would like whatever solution we come
up with to be applicable to that simple comand line call.  That's why
I think a command-line switch is a better option than CM files.

> That way we could handle:
> 	nothing
> 	old basis
> 	new basis
> 	old basis + MLton
> 	new basis + MLton
> and, to speed things up for people with their own big libraries, we
> could also let people make their own saved world with their
> libraries pre-digested.

I assume by "MLton" you mean the MLton libraries.  Yes, handling that
and pre-digested user libraries would be nice.  I think we could do it
with a new file suffix (".world"?) and a couple of new command-line
switches.