[MLton-devel] new basis library

Matthew Fluet Matthew Fluet <fluet@CS.Cornell.EDU>
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 14:13:57 -0400 (EDT)

> > Of course, I have no idea how much the IO, Posix, or System structures
> > have changed.
>
> I'm getting the feeling from this, and all your notes and questions,
> that this basis library change is not as simple an issue as I might
> have hoped.

It's not really that bad.  I ran through the regressions this morning;
only 6 of the regression files break (either don't compile due to type
errors or missing functions (4), or produce incorrect results (2)), and
only tensor doesn't compile from the benchmarks.

There are some type-checking issues that I'm not quite sure how we want to
resolve.  Getting all the opaque signature matches to work out might take
a little time, but I'm putting that to the side for now.  Also, I'd like
to think about whether or not we can simplify the shuffle between
CharVector.vector and String.string.  I think that the opaque signature
match on CharVector and String means that we can use a type-constrained
instance of the Vector structure for CharVector; but I don't know how that
impacts the compiler's internal handling of strings, string constants, and
ffi.

> I think we should rule out the basis library changes for the upcoming
> stable release.

Agreed.

> I also don't want them to interfere with the Late
> August experimental release (it's OK if they're there as an option).
> But it probably makes sense to at least have them available for the
> next stable release in October, and possibly as the default if we are
> happy with them.

Having them available for the stable October release sounds good.

We'll also have to see how the rest of the SML community moves.
I like the opaque signature matches in the spec are good, but getting them
right in the implementation will be tricky.