[MLton-devel] pack and unpack

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 19:55:00 -0700

I just put up a new release, 2002-07-28, at

	https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=50419

It has very simple versions of pack and unpack, whose implementation,
GC_pack and GC_unpack, is in gc.c.  If necessary, it should be easy to
tweak pack to use different constants, or to skip the GC in some
cases.

I also thought of another hack that could be very helpful when running
two MLton apps.  The parent could get the total amount of RAM and the
total amount of memory it is using (after the pack), and invoke the
child with the ram-slop runtime argument set appropriately so that the
runtime system in the child understands when it will incur paging
costs.  For example, if the parent is using 1/3 of RAM after the
pack, then it could pass "@MLton ram-slop 0.67 --" to the child
(although since ramSlop by default is 0.8, I would probably use
something less than 0.67).