[MLton-devel] Win32 port, Greece and F#

Anoq of the Sun anoq@HardcoreProcessing.com
Wed, 05 Jun 2002 00:30:37 +0200

Hello!

I have still not had time to do the Win32 port of MLton.
Right now I have exams until 17th of June and even tonnes
of other projects at the same time.

Furthermore I'm moving to Greece on 27th of June for about
7-8 months. But I'm taking my computers etc. with me and
my e-mail addresses should remain unchanged.

If I get the time, I'll do the port between 17th and 27th
of June - otherwise it will be as soon as I have settled
down in Athens.

On a side note I just heard about F# - if you haven't heard
of it I'm sure it would interest you :)
http://research.microsoft.com/projects/ilx/fsharp.htm

The most interesting part for me (i.e. one of the things I miss a
lot in MLton ;) is probably:

> F# is, as far as I know, the first ML compiler to have good
> binary-compatibility and versioning properties, e.g.
>
>*) You can build DLLs (many ML compilers do not allow this)
>*) There is full fidelity between F# code in a DLL and F# code
>   that calls the DLL (i.e. you can use F# constructs across the
>   DLL boundary without any problems);
>*) You can add a value to a module and the binaries produced are
>   compatible.
>*) You can modify the internals of a module and the binaries will
>   remain comaptible. The binary compatibility properties deteriorate
>   if cross-module optimization is used).

Cheers
--
http://www.HardcoreProcessing.com