[MLton-devel] Direct memory access / Memory mapping

Michael Neumann uu9r@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 14:23:17 +0200

Hi,

Is there a function/primitive in MLton which can be used to access memory
direclty by passing it the address?

E.g.

  Memory.getChar : word32 -> char
  Memory.getWord32 : word32 -> word32

Or something like OCaml's bigarray library, where you can make a C-array
accessable from OCaml (note that the C-array is not garbage-collected).

I need to memory-map a large file into memory (I can do this easily in a C-extension).
Then I would need another C-funtion that accesses the memory.
But calling each time a C-function to access a single byte might be to much overhead, compared
to a few inlined machine instructions.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

  Michael