Cygwin cross compiler

Matthew Fluet fluet@CS.Cornell.EDU
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 16:41:49 -0500 (EST)

> But - symlink or ldconfig - now mlton won't run. I get:
>
> Out of memory (setHeapParams)
>
> when running mlton -v or even just mlton.

Then you must be running a 2.2 kernel.  The functions to get the amount of
RAM available are now using 2.4 kernel specific structure elements.

Among the options are:
1. update your kernel to 2.4
2. always run mlton with "@MLton fixed-heap XXX --" to force the heap size
(and avoid the RAM lookup).  You can edit the /usr/local/bin/mlton script
to do this automatically
3. complain loudly to the MLton developers ;)

I've lasted with option 2 for a while now.  On the downside, you also need
to include this option on any program compiled by MLton and run on a 2.2
kernel, because the RAM lookup functions are in the runtime system which
is linked into every program.