benchmarks for the release

Henry Cejtin henry@sourcelight.com
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 18:08:03 -0600

Very nice.  Do we have any understanding of why nucleic is so bad?
Also, as to the wc-input1, which is, indeed, very fine, I must point out that
TextIO.inputLine is still too slow.  I think in my tests it was about 1/2
the speed of C (with C using the correct #define so that stdio wasn't broken
with stupid thread stuff).  My guess was that the problem was the extra copy
(and allocation) used to save the characters forming the line.  If that is
the cause,  it could be fixed by having some code which read the TextIO
buffer but kept the buffers from being re-used