[MLton-devel] GC question

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Mon, 6 May 2002 09:19:57 -0700

> among the log messages, I get:
>
> > [...]
> > [Requested 979M cannot be satisfied, backing off by 61M (need
> > = 3M).
> > [Requested 918M cannot be satisfied, backing off by 61M (need
> > = 3M).
> > fromSpace size = 1,284,046,848  toSpace size = 898,818,048
> > [...]
> > Out of memory (forward).
> > Diagnostic: probably a RAM problem.
>
> Is it in cases like this that we could benefit from copying to
> disk ?

No.  In the case above, the GC is attempting to compact the live data.
The copy to disk can only be done after a successful compaction.  So
it is only useful when bytesRequested is large and the GC was unable
to allocate toSpace big enough for bytesRequested, but was able to
allocate a toSpace big enough for the compaction.