[MLton-devel] HiPE/x86 Erlang compiler paper

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Tue, 7 May 2002 11:57:48 -0700

I was looking through "The HiPE/x86 Erlang Compiler: System
Description and Performance Evaluation"

	http://www.csd.uu.se/~kostis/Papers/x86.ps.gz

and saw that section 8 mentions MLton.  In the x86-codegen section of
the opus, we should answer their question

	"In MLTon, %esp is the heap pointer and %ebp points to a
	simulated call stack. It is not clear to us what the advantage
	of this unusual arrangement is."

We should also of course explain that arguments are always passed on
the stack, so they can fill in their table 2.

In fact, Matthew, if you'd like to send them mail (cc MLton of course)
explaining, that would be great.