[MLton-devel] (no subject)

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Mon, 13 May 2002 13:38:05 -0700

> Did  you  see  in comp.lang.ml the stuff about sockets and the standard basis
> library?  Some one posted the url
>     http://www.dina.kvl.dk/~sestoft/mosmllib/Socket.html
> which seems to claim that this is part of the basis, although it  just  looks
> like  the  SML/NJ stuff.  If it really is part of the basis then I guess that
> we should put it in MLton (although I don't much like it).

Socket does not appear in what I consider to be the definitive online
description of the basis library

	http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/what/smlnj/doc/basis/index.html

However, I remember hearing somewhere that Socket will appear in the
ever-forthcoming basis library book.  Moscow ML doesn't make clear the
distinction between the standard library and their extensions, so I
don't read anything into Socket being on their pages.  Also, last time
I checked, the Moscow ML and SML/NJ Socket structures were different.

If the book ever comes out and Socket is in it, I'll move it up on the
priority list.  Until then, I am willing to wait for someone else to
do it.  Tom Murphy said that he was working on it at some point.