[MLton-devel] random numbers

Matthew Fluet fluet@CS.Cornell.EDU
Tue, 14 May 2002 08:00:43 -0400 (EDT)

> I was inspired by the discussion on usenet about random number generators and
> ended up implementing the Mersenne Twister one discussed there.  Stephen, you
> said  that  `you  used  one  from ... in Numerical recipies), but it isn't in
> MLton, is it?

Yes, it is in the MLton structure as MLton.Random
(src/basis-library/mlton/random.sml).

> Is it really true that there isn't one in the basis library?

Doesn't look like it.

> Any suggested utilities?  At the moment  the  only  things  exported  in  the
> structure are
>
>     val init: Word32.word -> unit
>     val random: unit -> Word32.word

There was recently a discussion on the Haskell mailing list talking about
the proper scaling of randoms; i.e., doing better than just mod'ing; see:
http://haskell.org/pipermail/haskell/2002-May/009571.html
That might be useful.