[MLton-devel] pinned large arrays

Henry Cejtin henry@sourcelight.com
Wed, 22 May 2002 05:28:20 -0500

I don't deny that manually listing the tests out of loops is inelegant.
You are thinking of the file itself as consisting of data structures, which I
tend not to since you lose portability (byte order, word size, etc.).  In my
case you need to marshal/unmarshal any way.  I do this in C just as I do in
MLton.  Still, I'm not completely disagreeing, it is just that for my kind of
thing weaks are all I want and less of an imposition on the GC.
The problems of pinning objects with fragmenting the virtual address space
are really quite serious.  A friend of mine is pimped by this (in C) all the
time.  Once 64-bit machines are here (perhaps in under a year of AMD does ok
with Sledge-hammer) then that problem will go away, but for now it is going
to make any solution rather tenuous.