[MLton-devel] cvs commit: merge of allocation profiling branch

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Sat, 2 Nov 2002 12:22:22 -0800

> I'm curious why the profile files don't always use 8 byte counters
> now.  Given that they are sparse, it doesn't seem like the size
> would be much of a problem.

I only left in the 4 byte counter since that's what we had done
before.  It wasn't hard to support the dual format.

> Also, the latest kernels (Red Hat 8.0 at least) has switched to a
> 500 MHz clock for 686 and Athlon CPUs.  Thus if we interrupt at full speed,
> a 4 byte counter will overflow in a bit under 40 hours.  Not that long.

I assume you mean a 500 Hz clock, right?  If so, I compute
(2^32 / 500) seconds before overflow, which is about 100 days.  Where
I am confused?