[MLton-devel] Fwd: Re: pretty damn good

Matthew Fluet Matthew Fluet <fluet@CS.Cornell.EDU>
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 10:22:36 -0500 (EST)

> I'd like to know how to play with the options passed to gcc.

It's not that easy the way things are set up right now.  You really need
to edit the bin/mlton script.  Since the benchmark program looks for mlton
in your path, you should be able to copy bin/mlton to bin/mltonA,
bin/mltonB, ..., edit each bin/mltonZ to a different set of flags, and
then invoke the benchmark program like
../benchmark -mlton "mltonA" -mlton "mltonB" bench1 bench2

It would really be easy enough to migrate the default switches of
src/bin/mlton into src/mlton/main/main.sml and introduce a new switch
(say, -cc) that took a C-compiler and options, overriding the defaults.
Then you could invoke the benchmark script with multiple -mlton flags with
different cc options.  (The regexps for parsing the -flag {opt1, opt2}
style comparisons expect optNs to be single tokens, which I wouldn't
expect -cc arguments to be.)

Another alternative would be to have -cc and -ccopt flags; the first
would override the set of flags, while the second would add to the
current set of flags.  Then you could do something like

../benchmark -mlton "mlton -cc gcc -ccopt {-nop,-O1,-O2} -ccopt {-nop,-fomit-frame-pointer}"

to get lots of different combinations of flags.