[MLton-devel] Fwd: Re: pretty damn good

Henry Cejtin henry@sourcelight.com
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 12:17:56 -0600

Thanks, it really wasn't meant as bait.  I remember reading that the aliasing
rules were tightened in C99 but haven't read the full spec.

So is the notion that if I have a void *, and I cast it to  some  other  type
and  then  dereference  (either fetching or storing) that this can alias with
any other fetch/store, regardless of type?  That would make sense  given  the
intention  of void *'s, and I would think that the C back end would find that
sufficient, but I can easily imagine that there are some bad places where  we
go between ints and pointers (the canonical unportable cast).