[MLton-devel] nucleic benchmark times

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 16:28:42 -0800

> The times for the corrected nucleic benchmark on my machine ended up as
>
> MLton: 		.235 seconds
> Gambit 4.0b1:	.250 seconds (after inlining all calls to tfo_apply)
> C (gcc -O2):	.126 seconds
>
> So we (the FP community) still have a way to go.

Yep.  I am sad to say that MLton probably does worse on nucleic than
any of our other benchmarks.  It is the only benchmark that we have
where SML/NJ does significantly better than MLton.  Here are the
normalized running times on my machine.

MLton:		1.72
SML/NJ:		1.21
C (gcc -O2):	1

I took a look again at profiling nucleic and trying to figure out
anything we're doing obviously wrong, and I don't see it.

It is some small consolation that at least one functional language
compiler at least compares pretty well with C.