[MLton-devel] nucleic benchmark times

Henry Cejtin henry@sourcelight.com
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 14:36:59 -0600

I certainly don't blame you for your worries, but I can only say that where I
work we do use  MLton  for  production  stuff.   It  is  slightly  scary  but
certainly has never caused any problems.

Re 64 bits, note that MLton certainly can have arrays much larger than 16 meg
on 32 bit machines.  As I recall the limit is something like 2 gigabytes.

Re the nucleic results, I think that it is really still a  mystery  what  the
problem  is.  I've done other floating point stuff, like a simple FFT, and it
ran at C speed, so it isn't universal to floating point programs.   It  could
be  a  general problem with local floating point code generation, but it also
could be just one simple tweak to that which is missing in MLton.   It  would
be  great  to  have more small programs to narrow down on what the problem is
(or problems are).