[MLton-devel] nucleic benchmark times

Matthew Fluet fluet@CS.Cornell.EDU
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 17:39:58 -0500 (EST)

> It would be nice to automate the benchmark script to check partial
> orders and print anomalies.

That wouldn't be too hard, although I assume you mean the benchmark
program (as opposed to post-processing the output).
BTW, when I was hacking on the benchmark program, I noted that the -err
and -out options don't do anything because the compile and program output
are pumped to /dev/null instead of the temporary file.  That change
occured March 30, with a CVS comment of:

Added support for benchmarking Poly/ML.  Made benchmark script use spawn
instead of fork/exec so it can run on Cygwin.

Are fork/exec still broken on Cygwin?  The big difference in the benchmark
prog seems to be between fluidLet-ing a file desc. or an
TextIO.{in,out}stream.  I could do the former with the temp files via the
MLton.TextIO functions, although I'm not clear on the semantics of spawn
to know whether the latter would work.

> for that kind of slowdown with other optimizations.  Maybe there's a
> PLDI submission comparing C and native codegens hiding in here?

Not by Friday there's not. ;-)  And right now I've got more questions than
good answers.  But it's definitely something to keep in mind.

> DLXSim isn't floating-point intensive, right?   Maybe there are
> register allocation problems?  One thing that turning off overflow
> detection could do is cause more inlining and lot's bigger basic
> blocks.

DLXSim has no floating point at all.