[MLton-devel] types for RSSA

Matthew Fluet fluet@CS.Cornell.EDU
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 12:11:00 -0500 (EST)

> It  looks  very  nice.   Flattening  arrays  is  something  I think is really
> important, although the loss of sharing can sometimes be  bad.   Another  win
> that  it  looks  like  the  mutable fields thing would add would be to make a
> vector of refs as cheap as an array (or at least close).

I've never been convinced that flattening mutable fields into other data
structures really buys you anything without a lot of linearity analysis.
We still don't allow pointers into (the middle of) other data-structures,
so I don't see where a vector of ref's could be flattened.  Presumably,
somewhere you do  val r = Vector.sub(v, i)  and that ref escapes off into
some other data-structure, the stack, etc.  As soon as that happens, you
won't be able to push the refs into the vector.  Maybe I'm missing
something.