[MLton-devel] linearity related optimizations

Suresh Jagannathan suresh@cs.purdue.edu
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 18:19:00 -0500

> Is there another motivating example you have in mind?

I guess my point had less to do with linearity and more to do
exploring more refined representation decisions that are enabled by
RSSA.  Consider a tuple of floats where we somehow discover
that each element references the same object.   Unboxing
the floats into the tuple may well be inefficient in this
instance.  If the elements were known to be "different" i.e.,
allocated as different heap objects, the representation choice
would be different.  I think something optimizations akin to
compile-time gc might be relevant here as you observe; there's
obvious connection with mutability analysis as well, although I'm
not sure the two couldn't be couched as separate problems.