[MLton-devel] segfault with gcc 3.2.1

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 09:57:23 -0800

Alain has an application compiled with MLton that works fine when
compiled -native true and when compiled -native false with
egcs-2.91.66 and gcc 3.04.  However, it segfaults when compiled
-native false and gcc 3.2.1.

My best guess is that it's a gcc bug (of course it's always easy to
blame the other guy :-).  The only other possibility I can think of is
that there is some aspect of C semantics (like aliasing) that we are
relying on that newer gcc's are exploiting.  BTW, he is compiling with
-fno-strict-aliasing.  Any ideas on aspects of C other than aliasing
that might cause MLton problems?

Any other ideas?