[MLton-devel] porting to x86-64

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 15:42:38 -0700

I recently had a brief discussion with Alain about a project next year
to port MLton to AMD's x86-64.

When we last discussed this on MLton-devel in February, our conclusion
was that it shouldn't be too hard for the codegen to handle x86-64
instructions and additional registers, to extend the compiler
internals to deal with a new 64 bit type or two, and to extend the
basis library with some new 64 bit structures.

At the time, the thinking was that Itanium would require a huge amount
of effort, and wasn't likely to be that prevalent.  Matthew mentioned
a rumor that Intel might have an x86-64 competitor on the way.  And
Henry mentioned the possibility that PowerPC would become more widely
used and so might be a good thing to target.

Anyone have any current thoughts on the direction of the hardware
industry, and the direction we should go in porting MLton?