[MLton-devel] porting to x86-64

Henry Cejtin henry@sourcelight.com
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 17:48:50 -0500

Intel definitely has a skunkworks project (I forgot the name) which is doing
a 64-bit CPU that uses the AMD extensions.  They haven't admitted it, but even
the Microprossesor Report said that privately they had admitted it.
I would probably vote for that architecture since it is the least work and
should soon be out.  The PowerPC 64-bit stuff is a bit nicer of an architecture
(straight RISC design with a bunch of regular registers) but it isn't clear
that it will be cheaply available.