[MLton-devel] Minimizing space usage in ML (fwd)

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 15:06:04 -0700

> I thought from Matthew's mail that the idea would be that in RSSA you would
> mark a pointer as being of type `pointer' (in the GC tables) and that this
> would be a sign that the GC should not coallesce the object pointed to with
> other equal objects, even if it was marked immutable.

I didn't take it this way at all.  It's not the pointer to the object
that matters, it's the object header that matters.  It's the header
that specifies the layout (and someday mutability) of the object.  So,
to do the sharing hack, we need to add a little information to the
Object statement in RSSA, and propagate this through the backend into
the Object statement header and objectTypes vector in the MACHINE
program.