[MLton-devel] Minimizing space usage in ML (fwd)

Henry Cejtin henry@sourcelight.com
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 13:46:35 -0500

Sorry,    I    mis-spoke    and    was    confused    about   the   direction
(mutable => immutable)  that  we  were  considering.   Converting   in   that
direction after the last mutation seems fine.

The  conversion  requires  that one knows that there are no other pointers to
the object, which makes me epsilon more  nervous  with  the  GC  optimization
since  it makes pointers you would think are to different places point to the
same place.  I think that it is safe because the merge never makes two  paths
that  end  in an immutable object the same (eq?) unless they already were the
same.