[MLton-devel] Real.fromLargeInt

Matthew Fluet Matthew Fluet <fluet@CS.Cornell.EDU>
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 18:51:34 -0400 (EDT)

> > Real.fromLargeInt's pos function doesn't seem to be affected by the
> > current rounding mode.  Furthermore, ~ (pos (IntInf.~ i)) won't always
> > give the correct result for some rounding modes.
>
> Agreed.  I've attached my latest attempt, which fixes these problems,
> below.

Did you try that code with the test program I sent?  The fromLargeInt
looks fine, but I got an uncaught Overflow exception on the first call to
toLargeInt.  -exn-history true shows that it was raised by:

> 	     case class x of
> 		INF => raise Overflow
> 	      | _ =>

which seems very odd, because commenting out the call to toLargeInt prints
out a finite real as a result of the fromLargeInt call.  I didn't
recompile with the Real_modf correction, but that shouldn't have affected
the result of the class function.