[MLton-devel] allocating space for IntInf primitives

Matthew Fluet fluet@CS.Cornell.EDU
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 22:13:18 -0400 (EDT)

> > > Earlier this year, we changed IntInf primitives that return an IntInf
> > > result so that instead of taking an array in which to store the
> > > result, they took a number of bytes needed, which the limit check pass
> > > inspected to ensure that that amount of space was available at the
> > > frontier.
> >
> > Which, by the way, has been completely broken since the Jul. 6 checkin
> > that eliminated Prim.bytesNeeded function and rewrote limit-check.fun to
> > only account for array and object allocations.
>
> I disagree that it is broken and that the limit check pass does this.
> An IntInf primitive is turned into a CCall by SsaToRssa, and the
> Transfer.caseBytes function (line 96) of limit-check.fun handles
> those.  So, I don't see any problems with what is currently done.

You're right; my mistake.  I was just hunting around for where the
nursery/old-generation decision was (I found it in gc.c), and it caught my
eye that limit-check seemed to special case the Array_array primitive but
no others.  Which makes sense if the only other allocation functions are
C-calls.