[MLton-devel] stabs vs dwarf2

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 13:05:14 -0800

> Note, that if you change the gcc invocations of -gdwarf-2 to -gdwarf2 (or,
> equivalently (at least on gcc 2.96), -g2), then you can set break points
> in both.  Likewise, when you remove all the -gdwarf-2 options.

I had to change 'em to -gdwarf -g2, but that still doesn't work for
me.  I always get the error message

	No source file named z.0.s.

even when I break in z.0.s before z.c.

To be clear, here's what the compile looked like

   Compile C starting
      gcc -S -gdwarf -g2 \
          -I/home/sweeks/mlton/src/build/bin/../lib/self/include -O1 -o \
          /tmp/fileEbMRCn.s z.c
   Compile C finished in 0.19 + 0.00 (0% GC)
   Assemble starting
      gcc -gdwarf -g2 -c -o z.o /tmp/fileEbMRCn.s
      gcc -Wa,--gdwarf2 -c -o z.0.o z.0.s
   Assemble finished in 0.12 + 0.00 (0% GC)
   Link starting
      gcc -gdwarf -g2 -o z z.o z.0.o \
          -L/home/sweeks/mlton/src/build/bin/../lib/self -lmlton-gdb -lm \
          /usr/lib/libgmp.a
   Link finished in 0.09 + 0.00 (0% GC)

To simplify stuff, I took MLton out of the loop, created a simple
hello-world assembly file foo.s, and tried various ways of compiling
that.

gcc -gdwarf-2 -o foo foo.s
gcc -Wa,--gdwarf2 -o foo foo.s
gcc -gdwarf-2 -Wa,--gdwarf2 -o foo foo.s

If I then try to set a break in foo.s, for all three, I get

	No source file named foo.s.

Oh well.  I don't think it's worth the time to debug gcc/gdb, so it
looks like we'll live with stabs for now.