[MLton-devel] yeah, that did the trick

Sam Rushing rushing@nightmare.com
16 Sep 2002 22:12:35 -0700

--=-Vd6gqcXRIQOUs+G/f/OG

On Mon, 2002-09-16 at 11:23, Stephen Weeks wrote:
>=20
> > Ok, I've put together a patch file, a binary distribution, and the
> > output from the regression script:
> >=20
> >    https://berzerker.nightmare.com/~rushing/mlton/
> >=20
> > The build process is still a bit manual, for example I had to make a
> > fake 'self linux' hostmap file.  For now it thinks it's hosted on
> > linux.
>=20
> I installed your tgz on a fresh FreeBSD 4.6.2, and whenever I run it,
> I get "mlton: cannot open /etc/ld.so.conf".  This makes sense, because
> it thinks it's running on linux.  Can you explain why it works for
> you?  I assume you just faked the file. =20

I noticed that today when I tried to install on a fresh machine.
I did a 'touch /etc/ld.so.conf' on my own machine, and then forgot about
it in the intervening time...

> In any case, I've gone ahead
> and added a new MLton.hostType in the basis library MLton structure
> and a new Control.hostType in the compiler sources.  Now, when
> starting with an SML/NJ compiled MLton on FreeBSD, you should be able
> to create a new cross host using the add-cross script, and cross
> compile a FreeBSD mlton using the -host flag.  Also, I changed
> main.sml so that on FreeBSD it doesn't look for ld.so.conf.

Great!

> > Most of the patches aren't a big deal:
>=20
> I checked in all your changes except for the ones to the Makefile and
> regression script.  For the Makefile, I've replaced all uses of cp
> with $(CP), which expands to "/bin/cp -fpR".  I think this works on
> Cygwin, FreeBSD, and Linux.  As to the regression script, I'm not sure
> what to do.  You replaced "make -W $f" with "touch $f && make $f".
> Maybe it would be better to replace the make's with gmakes?  I also
> noticed I needed to do that when making the runtime.=20

Yeah, I'm not sure what the Standard Answer is on gmake vs. make.  I'm
sure the vast majority of systems end up installing it.  I'm thinking
that eventually this should be a 'port' (sortof a freebsd rpm system
that knows how to build from the sources, see /usr/ports/*), in which
case the dependency on gmake can probably be specified.  (can probably
also automatically pull in gmpv4 as well)  I'll talk with some hardcore
freebsd folks and see what the best approach is.

-Sam

--=-Vd6gqcXRIQOUs+G/f/OG

--=-Vd6gqcXRIQOUs+G/f/OG--