[MLton-devel] Time bug on RedHat 7.1

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 23:31:40 -0700

I appear to be running into the same time bug that we saw last summer
on RedHat 7.1 machines with 2.4 kernels.  Last time, we had a problem
with getrusage() returning bogus time values.  We fixed it with our own
version of getrusage that uses times() to get the user and system
times.

Now, I am seeing a similar problem with Time.now, which uses
gettimeofday(), which is apparently returning a non-increasing
sequence of time values.  Any suggestions as to the best fix?  My best
idea is to keep track of the previous value and to check the value
we're about to return -- if it goes back in time, then just use the
previous value.