[MLton-devel] Patch to FreeBSD GC init code and general comments to C code

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 14:45:11 -0700

> After reading a bit down over the code, I think this is much more pure
> in the garbage collector. I have provided a patch at the bottom. The
> patch removes a need for sysctl and awk in at least one place.

Looks good.  I checked it in.

> Second shouldnt we hoist all #includes to the top of the files, instead
> of spreading them out all over the file? My experience tells me we are
> going to get bitten by it if we dont.

I have no objection.  I don't think it's critical, so I'll get to it
after the release.

> Third the ensure-gmp target in mlton/runtime/Makefile will cause a lot
> of trouble. On FreeBSD at least, libgmp is part of the base system and
> should be linked in unless someone actually deletes it. I dont think
> there is any need for the check (on FreeBSD). If we really need them, we
> should consider using automake, autoconf and other programs that can
> check it.  The task of converting to those GNU tools is time consuming
> though.

The problem is that the libgmp that comes with FreeBSD is GNU MP
version 2 and MLton requires at least version 3.  So, when building
MLton, we need to put gmp.h and libgmp.a in the MLton lib directory.
ensure-gmp is the easiest way I could think of to do this.  Before
that, it was done in one of my packaging scripts external to the
sources, which was worse IMO.  Why will it cause lots of trouble?  To
MLton users or MLton developers?

I have no objection to going to automake and friends in the long run.