[MLton-devel] heap frontier movement while in C code

Stephen Weeks MLton@MLton.org
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 20:49:31 -0800

> Given that the optimization is flow insensitive, how does the existence of
> threads change things.  I.e., what transformation is no longer valid?
> I guess that some of the ref elimination might not actually be flow
> insensitive.

The existence of threads/continuations affects our notion of things
that can only happen once.  This affects globalization, which happens
in the closure converter, to avoid putting stuff in lambdas, and in
constant propagation, which globalizes "constant" ref cells and arrays
(i.e. those that are known to be allocated only once). the LocalRef
optimization also uses the notion of "once".