[MLton-devel] benchmarks -align {4,8}

Henry Cejtin henry@sourcelight.com
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 16:07:38 -0500

Is  it really hard to make it so that mod-8 alignment only happens for things
that want it (doubles)?  My notion was that while allocating things of  fixed
size  (i.e.,  almost everything) you keep track of your alignment mod 8 (only
ever 0 or 4).  As long as after a GC or variable-sized allocation or function
call/return you align things mod 8 then this is always known at compile time.
(I guess you also have to align it at join points.)

It might not be worth a lot, but it would allow doubles to be  aligned  while
not costing us all the space otherwise.