[MLton-devel] MLton meeting Friday May 23

Stephen Weeks sweeks@sweeks.com
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 15:39:02 -0700

Hi all.  I want to remind everyone of the upcoming MLton meeting.

We will meet at 10:00AM at 1840 Oak Ave., Evanston, IL, room 100.
Notice that this is on a short section of Oak Ave. that is separated
from the rest of Oak, as seen on the following map.

	http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&ed=5dIGvOp_0TrOkTmtLDfhmIUzl57PTZNcmwJWS0RgqvqRL.U384yAEUs-&csz=Evanston,+IL&country=us

The meeting will run all day, until we get tired :-).  Henry knows of
a good middle-eastern place that we can order out to for lunch.

The room will have an overhead projector and screen, a medium-sized
white-board, and a computer and powerpoint projector.

Matthias, Dave, and John, we've thought a little bit on the things
we'd like to talk about and hear about.  The list below collects our
thoughts, and is grouped by speaker.  If you have anything you'd like
to add, either to your own list or someone else's please send me mail.
I'll collect everything and send out a list in a week or so.  Don't
feel obligated to give a conference-style talk; you're welcome to just
kibitz.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone!

Henry
	using MLton at Sourcelight
Matthew
	x86 codegen overview
	limit checks
	basis library -- IO
Stephen
	front end
	exception handlers
	profiling
	runtime system
	RSSA type system (including holes)
	Cygwin, FreeBSD, SPARC ports
	the MLton survey
	new directions (ports, OCaml front end, byte-code interpreter, ...)
Suresh
	compiler class using MLton
	flattening
	opus
	research projects for MS and PhD students
	new directions (distributed computing, interop with Java, ...)

UofC people
	plans for SML/NJ
        making MLRISC work with MLton
Matthias