[MLton-devel] mGTK for MLton status

Matthew Fluet fluet@cs.cornell.edu
Sat, 16 Aug 2003 19:30:39 -0400 (EDT)

> Actually, -cc-opt '-letter value' works fine.  Handling -link-opt in
> the same way means that Ken can now build his executable by passing
> the following flag to MLton
>
> 	-link-opt "`pkg-config --libs gtk+-2.0`"
>
> That looks good to me.
>
> On a related note, with -link-opt we no longer need the -link or
> -lib-search options for MLton.  I think it might be good to get rid of
> them.  They are easily replaced.
>
> 	old			new
> 	----------------	------------------
> 	-link foo		-link-opt "-lfoo"
> 	-lib-search path	-link-opt "-Lpath"
>
> Even better, "-lib-search path -link foo" becomes "-link-opt '-Lpath
> -lfoo'".  We also no longer need to support the ability to pass linker
> args after the .sml file.  It might be good to get rid of that too,
> and force people to use -link-opt.  Thoughts?

I like -link-opt as analagous to -cc-opt (although, there ought to be a
way of setting options for both passes).  The only downside I see, is that
-link-opt options are still passed to gcc not to ld (although, we could
change that), so you write
-link-opt -Wl,--export-dynamic
which in some sense seems redundant because -Wl is just reinforcing the
"pass to linker" aspect.  Not a big deal, and people familiar with gcc are
probably used to it in make files, because I doubt many explicit calls to
ld are made, so maybe we're o.k.

I also like dropping -link and -lib-search and not supporting arguments
after the .sml file.