[MLton-devel] front end

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 23:50:01 -0700

> Suggestions for small projects I can handle are welcome.

Here's a few suggestions:

Benchmarks:
* Find SML code on the web and add it to our benchmarks.  Here are
  some examples that I haven't had time to look into (the links may be
  out of date).
  o Adate
	http://alife.ccp14.ac.uk/adate/~rolando/
  o Carillon
	http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/Research/Aiken/carillon/
  o Claret
	http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~boulton/claret/
  o Matching Single-Sort Algebraic Specifications for Software Reuse
	http://www.math.ist.utl.pt/~fcouto/tfc/
  o Porgi
	http://www.cis.ksu.edu/~allen/porgi.html
  o Terzo
	http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~dale/lProlog/terzo/index.html
  o Theorem provers
	http://www.cs.kun.nl/~freek/digimath/

Tools:
* Port CML to MLton
* Add support for NLFFI

Basis library:
* Support files larger than 2G
  o Use Int64 instead of Int32 for file positions
  o Make appropriate runtime system modifications
* Improve the IO implementation to use word copies instead of byte
  copies.
* Add module for dlopen and close.  This requires extending _import to
  support dynamically computed addresses.
* Add Real80.

Optimizations:
* Add support for constant folding of IntInf_gcd.
* Add SSA optimization to eliminated redundant dereferences, e.g.
    val x = !r
    val y = !r
* Flatten arrays and vectors of tuples, i.e., replace ('a * 'b) array
  with ('a array * 'b array).

Let us know if any of those are interesting to you and we can discuss
them in more detail.

> And for a couple of patches:

Checked in (with mods).

> This is a little hack that splits out examples into their own
> directory definition. It helps me quite a bit when working for the
> NetBSD pkgsrc.  I do not want you to commit it headlessly, but
> rather discuss it.  I think I should make i new target
> install-examples and place it there.

I have no problem with splitting out the examples, as long as the
behavior of install and install-docs doesn't change.  One mistake with
your patch is that it doesn't do the right thing on sunos.  I fixed
that and made it a little simpler by setting

TEXM = $(TDOC)/examples

> I could do this with patches in the pkgsrc, but it would be nicer if
> the structure handled it.

Definitely.  Since we are the developers, there is no reason to have
any patches in pkgsrc.  I would like to migrate everything into
mlton/Makefile.