[MLton-devel] MLton and profiling

Matthew Fluet MLton@mlton.org
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 18:26:30 -0500 (EST)

> I had a bit of trouble getting Metis to compile, even with the
> invaluable -basis 1997 flag, which I eventually tracked down to a
> piece of library code like the following:
>
> local
>   open Word;
> in
>   val i = ~(Word.toIntX 0w0);
> end
>
> I have no idea why it was written like this, but it doesn't compile
> with MLton 20030130, and it did with the one I was using before (two
> public releases back, I think: why doesn't MLton support a --version
> flag?). If you remove the "open Word;" line in the above code, it
> does compile.

Thanks for the bug report; it is a bona-fide bug.  The latest Basis
Library specification introduces a Word.~ operator, which comes into scope
with the open Word.  The -basis 1997 implementation inherits the -basis
2002 implementation and does the appropriate rebindings and filtering of
structure values.  I missed filtering out the ~ operator from structures
matching the WORD signature.  I just checked in a fix to our internal
version.