[MLton-devel] Re: MLton and profiling

Andreas Rossberg MLton@mlton.org
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 16:23:03 +0100

Hi Stephen,

I played a bit with the profiler of the latest version (20030209). I
really enjoyed it. So far, I encountered no problems with the
implementation, it seems to be quite stable and usable.

One thing that confused me, though, was the treatment of curried
functions. They appear multiple times in the profiling output (e.g. with
test runs of Hamlet I got up to 20 instances of Type.clone). The user's
guide seems to be silent on this (apart from mentionining functors), so
I'm not sure what to make of it.

 > I time profiled hamlet on a simple fibonacci example.  I
 > have attached the results below.  Interestingly enough, they show that
 > about 60% of the time is spent in BinaryMapFn.insert and
 > BinaryMapFn.find.

That is not too surprising, bearing in mind the naive interpretative
evaluation procedure used by Hamlet.

BTW, I would love to apply profiling to parts of the Alice system (which
really needs it...). Unfortunately, it makes heavy use of extensions
like or patterns and vector expressions. Is there any chance that MLton
will support them in the future?

Best regards,

    - Andreas

--
Andreas Rossberg, rossberg@ps.uni-sb.de

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac Man affected us
  as kids, we would all be running around in darkened rooms, munching
  magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music."
  - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc.