[MLton-devel] phantom types and directed graphs

Matthew Fluet MLton@mlton.org
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 13:27:37 -0500 (EST)

> Yes, I guess that that is true.  So in the end, you have a finite number of
> types (of nodes) and any function that can deal with more than one kind of
> node must be let-bound, which was already true, phantom types or not.
> Maybe I was thinking of when you use phantom types to reflect subtyping
> (where the inheritance corresponds to chains of polymorphic types).

I think the use of phantom types in directed graphs would be helpful.  The
major issue I've run into with using phantom types is that you can
occasionally run into value restriction problems, but one can always
eta-expand to recover.