[MLton-devel] CPU utilization

Henry Cejtin henry@sourcelight.com
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 17:04:55 -0500

You are right about the problems of being portable to other compilers.  In my
case it is more just the notion of writing in Standard ML.  Even if there were
no other compilers, I like the idea of using that language instead of MLton
specific stuff.  The result is I usually take stuff I want from the MLton
sources and hack it to be in SML.  Not a big deal, but the point is that
I then view that code as part of the source of the program, not part of the
system.  Clearly things like the basis library indicate that the difference is
psychological.
For me the main advantage of a front end would be to actually have reasonable
error messaages without having to use stubs and SML/NJ, and also to have a
standard ML front end.  Sometimes I use Hamlet for small tests.