[MLton-devel] A CM replacement for MLton

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 12:11:53 -0700

Cool. The TILT system is at yet another point in the design space.

						file
		file			cutoff	name
	 	order	depends scoping	recomp	conv
		-------	-------	-------	-------	-------
CM		imp	imp	yes	yes	no
ML Kit .pm	exp	imp	yes	yes	no
mosmake		imp	exp	no	yes	no
mosmldep	exp	imp	no	no	yes
ocamldep	exp	imp	no	yes	yes
PLDs		imp	exp	yes	N/A	no
Poly/ML		imp	imp	no	yes	yes
TILT		exp	exp	no	yes	no

They recognize that scoping is important, but don't have it (at least
back then).  They require both explicit ordered file lists and
explicit dependency lists, plus they have these extra "external
interface" files, all of which seems like a lot of verbiage to me.
And it still seems better to me to infer the dependencies from the
ordered file list -- that should provide enough information to do
separate and cutoff recompilation.