[MLton-devel] strip bug on Debian causing MLton segfault

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 02:18:34 -0700

I've made some progress on the problem I've been seeing when building
MLton on debian.  The problem appears to be due to either a bug in
strip (from the binutils package) or a bug in the way the debian
people are building strip.  Here's what I've discovered.

1. When I bootstrap MLton on debian "sarge" (aka "testing"), the
resulting mlton-compile executable almost always segfaults.

2. If I do not strip mlton-compile, everything works fine.

3. If I strip mlton-compile on any of my redhat machines, and then
move it back to my debian machine, it works fine.  I tried the
following versions of strip (2.11.93.0.2, 2.13.90.0.18, 2.14.90.0.4).

4. If I strip mlton-compile on my debian machine using strip version
2.14.90.0.4, the resulting executable always segfaults.

5. All four different ways of running strip produce identical sized
files (8,713,004) with identical text (7,589,752) and data (1,117,012)
sizes.

6. strip 2.14.90.0.4 produces different output when run on redhat than
when run on debian.  The executables differ in many (2,643,532)
positions.

Any ideas how I might try to track this one down?