[MLton-devel] Solaris port

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Thu, 5 Jun 2003 18:39:50 -0700

Alain:
> Another issue is the high cost billed on munmap's account. Any
> ideas.

Henry:
> Re the munmap cost, the relative expense of this system call is
> going to vary with the OS one is running on.  I would think that the
> best solution for Solaris would be to adjust the GC parameters for
> when the usage is low enough to shrink and how high it is grown when
> it needs to grow.  If mmap/munmap are more expensive on Solaris then
> these should be increased for that OS.

Frequent mmaping and munmapping is one problem.

The problem is made worse on Solaris because we don't use mremap like
we can on Linux to grow the heap.  I don't know if there's an mremap
equivalent for Solaris.  Anyone else?

Another problem is repeated mmap and munmap of the card map and the
cross map.  Maybe this problem can be alleviated by keeping those
in a region of the heap.  I'll think about it some more tomorrow.