[MLton-devel] mlton profiling?

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Sun, 15 Jun 2003 23:30:48 -0700

Hi Mark.  It was nice to meet you too.  I'm glad to hear the
higher-order stuff worked.

> One thing, though, I noticed that on one of my benchmarks I am
> spending 31% of my time in <poly-equal>.  What is poly-equal?  Does
> this mean I am spending 31% of my time testing for equality of large
> abstract data types?

<poly-equal> corresponds to the MLton implementation of polymorphic
equality, which indeed implements equality of (possibly large) values.
MLton builds a specialized equality function for each type, and the
profiler charges time spent in all such functions to the catch all
"<poly-equal>".  Hopefully, a look with -profile-stack true will show
you which function is using polymorphic equality so heavily.