[MLton-devel] cvs commit: support for multiple integer, real, and word sizes

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 09:15:40 -0700

> Anything specific?

I left some "FIXME"'s where I didn't know what to do.  Other than
that, we probably just need to build the basis library code and test
stuff.

> Obviously, I64 takes a bit more work.

Yeah, but I would rate it as the most important of all.

> >   I would like Word64, but that will take a little more
> >   work since there is no Word64 to bootstrap off of.
>
> I don't follow.  Why is Word64 any more difficult than Int64?

The difficulty is how do we represent constants of type Word64 at
compile time, especially for primapp simplifications.  I.E. what do we
do in WordX?  For Int64 and IntX it is easy, we just use IntInf.
There is no WordInf and no easy way to do some Word64 bit ops like <<
and >>.  This is not a big deal -- once we put in Word64 we can use
that to bootstrap off of ourselves.  But I figured it was enough
complexity that we should do it separately.