[MLton-devel] cvs commit: support for multiple integer, real, and word sizes

Matthew Fluet fluet@cs.cornell.edu
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:39:47 -0400 (EDT)

> I'm also adding an
>   Int_toInt of IntSize.t * IntSize.t (* codegen *)
> primitive, since it doesn't seem appropriate to bounce through IntInf.int
> to convert sizes.

I've added  basis-library/integer/integer.fun  to facilitate building
Int{8,16,32} from their primitive operations.  (Essentially, it's just
what was in int32.sml turned into a functor.)

Now I've got Int8 and Int16 and I'm trying out  regressions/int.sml  under
Int16, mostly expecting codegen errors.  But, I'm getting some type-errors
in SSA constant propagation.  I'll see what I can track down, but I won't
have time to work on anything after noon.  So, policy question: should I
check in something that will leave the checked-in code in a slightly
inconsistent state (in the sense of known bugs)?  I could make a patch
against the checked-in code for anyone who wants to try and make progress.
Or we could branch and check in broken code there.