[MLton-devel] -may-load-world option a bit ugly

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 19:51:01 -0700

> wouldn't the more sensible option  be  to  NOT  allow  world  loading  unless
> MLton.World.save  is called in the executable, and to always allow it in that
> case.

One problem is that "MLton.World.save is called in the executable"
very much depends on what the compiler is able to figure out.  Because
of whole-program optimization, it might even change due to a small
seemingly unrelated change.  Another problem is that maybe there is
some library that calls MLton.World.save, but that the user know it
won't actually happen for this executable and doesn't want it.  Since
this is for security, it seems like the only safe way is to put it on
the command line.