[MLton-devel] mlton installation trouble

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Thu, 1 May 2003 13:26:27 -0700

> 2. I tried grabbing the source rpm and compiling with smlnj 110.41,
> but typing "make nj-mlton" and "gmake nj-mlton" failed immediately
> with error messages about not being able to find mlton, mllex, and
> mlyacc.  I think the problem might be that the source distribution
> was missing some pre-lex'd and yacc'd files in mlton/front-end.

You're right that those files are not there and that that causes the
make to fail.  Building MLton from source requires having a (possibly
older) version of MLton installed.  The distro includes the neeeded
mllex and mlyacc.

> 3. I grabbed the linux binary tar file and untar'd into /, and things
> appear to work now.

Great.

You shouldn't have any trouble rebuilding MLton from source now if you
want to.  We strongly recommend building with MLton (make bootstrap)
instead of SML/NJ, since the resulting compiler runs *much* faster.