[MLton-devel] Fwd: Mark Tuttle

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Thu, 1 May 2003 17:50:03 -0700

> > > We'd also need to mediate all of the places where Position.int's are
> > > passed to C; we won't be able to hand off an IntInf.
> >
> > Good point.  We need to do that for IntInf or Int64.
>
> But isn't the point of -D_???_BITS=64 (whatever it is) to let 64bit ints
> be passed to all of the C functions?  I guess the fact that we wrap all of
> those functions in the /runtime/basis/* files, we can do the mediation
> there, but I'd expect with Int64 we'd just be calling them long long's in
> C and passing them off.

I just meant that we need to extend the compiler and native codegen to
handle Int64, and follow the appropriate C calling convention.

We can do the change one function at a time using
-D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE and changing only the functions we want, or we
can use -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 and change them all at once.