[MLton-devel] RE: cygwin segfault

Mike Thomas miketh@brisbane.paradigmgeo.com
Tue, 6 May 2003 10:05:43 +1000

Hi Stephen.

Labour day holiday yesterday hence the delayed reply.

| Here's a couple more things I'd like you to try.
|
| Run "mllex @MLton fixed-heap 10m gc-messages --".  This should keep
| the runtime from ever having to GC, and should it succeed would
| confirm the guess that the bug is somewhere in the runtime.

$ mllex @MLton fixed-heap 10m gc-messages --
totalRam = 535,834,624  totalSwap = 1,311,006,720  ram = 428,670,976
Created heap of size 10,485,760 at 0x00690000.
/tmp/file6Ta3cv.0.S 1569: GC_gc
Starting gc.  Request 512 nursery bytes and 0 old gen bytes.
Growing stack to size 788.
Finished gc.
time: 0 ms
old gen size: 10,660 bytes (0.1%)
no files
Usage: mllex file.lex ...
Releasing heap at 0x00690000 of size 10,485,760.

| Rebuild the runtime, turning on various debugging flags.  To do this,
| edit gc.c, and set DEBUG, DEBUG_DETAILED, DEBUG_MEM, DEBUG_RESIZING,
| and DEBUG_STACKS to TRUE.  Run make, and then place the libmlton.a and
| libmlton-gdb.a in the mlton's lib directory (/usr/lib/mlton/self).
| Then, recompile and rerun mllex.  Hopefully we'll still get the
| segfault and can learn something from it.

Unfortunately this will have to wait until later today or tomorrow as I just
discovered that I'll need to install GMP.